Saturday, March 15, 2014

Haiti day 7 by Liz

Today we began our journey home. It's hard to leave this place. But with us we carry the memories made, friendships formed, and the images of precious children. It's never easy leaving a place where you have left part of your heart. But it's not goodbye, it's "until we meet again". We have seen God move in tangible ways this week. He has been evident and present in every part of our trip. He has guided and led us every step of the way. I'm always remind of His faithfulness. The way He loves, the way He protects, and the way He comforts each one of His children. For me it's easier to leave the children from Source de la Grace, because I know that each day, they come home to the arms of precious house mamas that love them dearly. I know that The Lord has His hand on these sweet orphans and that ultimately He is their protector and provider. It's comforting to be able to leave these children in the care of a Savior who loves them far more than I ever will or could. He has them, and I have to remember to trust in that.
But I can't help but wonder about all the other kids out there who simply are in desperate need of love. Who don't have the opportunity to come home to people who care about them and protect them. Who don't know what it feels like to be unconditionally loved. Who don't know what it means to have someone fight on your behalf. Who rummage through trash to find food to temporarily fill their empty bellies. Who beg on the streets for money. Who sell themselves at night to men who use and abuse them. And I'm constantly asking, "but God, what about them?". And over and over again He reminds me, "I have them too". "But what are you going to do about it?". Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is that I'm forever grateful for places like Source de la Grace who are changing lives, one child at a time.
As we loaded the car and made our way towards the airport, I was taking everything in. The sights, the smells, the sounds, all of it. I was reminded that God is here, and He is moving. He never left. He never forgot them. He has always held this country close. In the midst of pain and heartache, He was right there. He saw every tear, every heartbreak, every loss. Standing at the earthquake memorial yesterday was even harder than last year. Tears began to come as I closed my eyes and could envision the chaos of the country on that tragic day. Devastation on every level. People screaming out for their loved ones. People wailing at the death of those close to them. Car alarms. Ambulance sirens. Heartbreak after heartbreak. So as we drove through the city today I was reminded of the emotion of yesterday. How does a city and country ever recover after something like that? How do you pick up the pieces and move forward? Strength. Pure strength from The Lord. That's the only way. They had to push through, they had to carry on. It's something I'm deeply moved by and that I admire about this country.
It has felt so good to be back in this country that has taught me so much. I'm constantly blown away by the hospitality and love of the Vaval family. Today I left an extension of family. There is a deep love that I have for them. Words can't even really explain what they mean to me. I'm grateful for the many nights that I got to sit with Francoise and Kristie. It was such a joy to get to know them in a deeper way. As we would sit around the table and talk "business" only to immediately be followed by laughter and Kristie being fascinated by the new words or phrases we taught her. Oh my heart. That family is precious. The way Francoise would look at me and say "my daughter" and then force me to sit on her lap. Though I swear I was going to break her legs, it was such a sweet and tender moment. To be welcomed into their family with open arms. Francoise finally let me help with dinner. For those who haven't been or don't know her, that's a big step. To be upgraded from setting the table to helping with the food means there is a level of comfort. She doesn't always let people help, so when she does...you know you have reached that sweet spot. Where you are no longer a guest in her home, but you have become family. So she's no longer afraid to put you to work. They're some of the most compassionate, loving, generous people I know. Every single one of them. And I'm blessed because of them.
Today Tamara, Niaya, and I said our goodbyes to the team in New York. We sent them on their way and the three of us headed into the city. What a different culture to step into. The city is beautiful, but it's also a little heartbreaking. Its full of our own darkness and constant images of the things we worship and value. We took a bike carriage through Central Park which was beautiful. Then we headed down to TimeSquare. As images flashed and I overheard the conversations of those around me I was reminded of our brokenness. Of the things that have taken us captive and that we have allowed control over us. As we walked through the candy stores and toy stores, as people hustled and bustled to buy souvenirs, I couldn't help but think what that money could do for those we met in Haiti. It could feed families. It could send children to school. It could build water wells. But instead we spend it on a temporary fix. I'm not saying this for anyone to feel guilty. But I can't help but wonder what it would look like to replace our temporary fix with something that could change the situation for a person across the world, across the ocean, or even across our street. These are the thoughts that are swimming in my head as I take in all this city has to offer, both the good and bad.
Tomorrow I'm so excited that we get to spend the day with Pastor Moise who is our missionary in Haiti. He is praying about coming here to be a missionary to this city. I can't tell you how excited that makes me. Someone who has done so much for Haiti and has raised up such a beautiful community. To think that he will be here bringing light into our own darkness. So powerful. It brings me great joy to see his heart for this city and I'm excited for what The Lord has in store for him here. A city that is materially wealthy yet spiritually poor. Praying that this city will see its own form of poverty and find what it means to have true wealth.

No comments: