Monday, July 1, 2019

Blogs from Uganda

Hi Everyone,                                                                                                                          June 27th

 

Got up this morning very early (at least for me) to head to the LOFT to meet the team so we could all caravan to Austin's airport to begin our journey to Uganda. Our flights through United were cancelled multiple times (the last time two days ago) so we jumped ship and are on flying Delta/KLM. I couldn't be happier. For a while there, we were traveling as two separate groups, meeting up in Brussels for the last leg to Uganda. Remembering our experience last year, this made me very nervous. So being all together has been a huge blessing. We got to Austin in plenty of time, checked our bags, got our boarding passes and were at the gate with an hour and a half to spare. It is the little things in life that get me excited. We are in the very back of the plane but we are all sitting together, except for Aubra, who is three rows up. Not only that, but everyone, but Aubra (I'm seeing a pattern develop) got Pre-Tsa. I went through the regular line with her  but because I was Pre-Tsa I didn't have to take off my shoes. I'm afraid to say this out loud, but so far it has been smooth sailing. Julie and Sam drove up with us to bid us farewell and I want to thank them and everyone who texted me this morning. Now my hope is that our next flights are on time, and that ALL our baggage arrives with us! I don't think that is asking too much, but we shall see! 

 

The young man sitting next to Denise and me looked directly at us and told us to be quiet, he was trying to sleep. Nothing subtle about him! And we weren't talking very loud; at least we didn't think we were.

 

We have now made it to Amsterdam. Again, we were all together except for our unaccompanied minor, Aubra, who sat in a different section of the plane. I offered to exchange with her, but she had a window seat and was quite happy. As it turned out only she and Craigg slept on this flight. The flight attendant actually came by and told Denise and me to turn off our overhead lights so the crying child across the aisle would fall asleep. Personally, I think Denise is the problem. So now we are all waiting at our next gate…

 

Another update… we have made it to Kigale, Rwanda. We all managed to sleep a little bit on this flight which is good news. In 55 minutes we will begin our final leg to Entebbe. I am so grateful we all flew together. I have decided that next year's team is going to do a "trial' flight to Uganda on the front end of our team meetings. (:I). It is a great bonding exercise!!! 

 

As I ponder the trip this year it still seems unbelievable that we are on our way. The flights just go on forever and until we land and I see the airport it all just seems surreal. I am certainly excited to see what God has in store for us as we begin serving these communities. Tomorrow we will get up and head to Iganga. Let the fun begin…

 

Saturday, June 29th

 

First, and foremost, I want to wish my brother and his wife a happy anniversary!!! I hope you have fun today. Know I love you both.

 

We got in last night to Banana Village around 12:30 a.m. As usual, they were as nice as could be and we all got settled and to sleep very quickly. Our plan was to meet at 8:30 for breakfast. Denise woke up earlier than me (no surprise) and showered. I asked her what time it was and she told me 6:50. I was thrilled. That meant I had almost an hour left to sleep! Next thing I know, she is shouting that it is 8:20 and she'd read the clock wrong! Fastest shower ever!! And we were not even late for breakfast! I had set the alarm clock to go off at 7:30 but had forgotten to change the time to here. It still thought I was in SA. Oops!

 

Julie and Laura, just FYI our van is wonderful this year. It even has air conditioning!! 

 

We stopped at the mall in Kampala to exchange money and update my phone (I needed minutes) and have been on the road ever since. The new toll road was awesome while it lasted, but for the majority of the trip the traffic has been terrible! Did I mention the traffic is terrible! The suitcases are on the roof. 

 

We also stopped in Jinja for lunch around 3:30. The team was hungry and we had just driven through a massive rain storm. All six of us ordered but only five received their meals. Poor Denise was forgotten so she shared with me. I ordered coffee for the Loft (and picked up coffee for Cody and Sam(antha). I'll pick up the Lofts next time we are in the area. Because it rained, and because our suitcases were on the roof, some of what we brought got drenched. So now we are drying out all the paraphernalia… we ate dinner at Musana and now are trying to get organized to go to bed. While at Banana Village Kyemba reorganized the van and somehow my suitcase is missing. Banana Village will let me know if it is still there or if another team took it with them. Ugh!!!!!!! Update: My suitcase is NOT at Banana Village which means that the other team staying there may have it. Unfortunately, the phone number they gave Banana Village does not work. Sadly, the suitcase is filled with t-shirts for Musana and several other items that are desperately needed. 

 

I will send this out tomorrow when hopefully we will have Internet. The team is jelling really well and we are all excited to dive in. I love all of you and am so thankful for this opportunity to again lead a team into the country I love so much. 

 

Sue

No comments: