Tuesday, July 9, 2019

July 9th

Today we worked alongside Pastor Andrew Wambi and Joseph,  one of the social workers for New Life. We went out to a new school that he has opened called Morning Star. It is about 2-1/2 hours from Musana. We stopped in Idudi and picked the two of them up and then travelled on roads that couldn't have been more than three feet in width. And red dirt! On either side the countryside was beautiful; certainly no billboards to distract from the scenery. Banana trees, mango trees, jackfruit trees and avacado trees line the road and you can see for miles or kilometers as the case may be. The country is so green and plush. You drop a seed on the ground and it will sprout. Not only are the roads narrow but potholes are prevalent. My mother use to tell me if I dug deep enough I would reach China. I can assure you these roads are close!! Kyemba however navigates then like a pro! We did pass through a few small villages where hand built shops are every where selling their wares. People and children are all out in the streets as where the moms go the kids follow. I love seeing the women balancing all kinds of things on their heads. Today a woman was carrying a basket filled with potatoes. Talk about heavy! We tried balancing water bottles on our heads and failed miserably. Not only that but they walk and turn their heads in all directions. 

 

We got to the school and were introduced to the teachers and the students. The school was started because a well was drilled in the community and Andrew saw the need for education. The building is divided into four classrooms. The walls and roof are made out of tin and the floors are dirt. Portable blackboards have been brought in. There are no books; everything is learned by recitation and copying information down to study later. The kids sit at benches five or six across. The school goes from nursery (age 3) to P4 this year. Because many of the kids have not been educated in the past or their education has been terrible it is not unusual to see older children in younger classes. We were able to observe the classes for awhile and then Aubra and Esther played with the children while Denise, Kylee and I talked with Joseph and the community pastor. We took a short hike down to Lake Victoria to get a look at it. While walking all the village kids walked with us. Taking pictures is always difficult because if I point the camera at one child all the others want to be included. There really is no such thing as one at a time. One of the little boys (I thought he was five. Turns out he's fifteen) has serious mental issues. He also walks with his feet pointing outward. It's so sad because I know it could have been fixed at birth in the states. But he had the biggest smile and just wanted physical touch. Joseph was telling us that he comes by the school daily and walks right into the various classrooms disrupting the teaching! Of course the rooms h e no doors so there is no way to keep him out! Hopefully by providing education to the kids it will change their future and give them a chance at success! 

 

We then piled back into the van and drove a ways to the shore of Lake Victoria. For 30,000 shillings (less than ten dollars) we rented a boat (I use that word loosely) and all of us except Kyemba went for a ride. Andrew and two other men were rowing while Moses bailed water out of the boat. We saw several crocs (I'm not talking the shoes) in the water and not too far away children were swimming. As for me, I prefer our neighborhood pool!! It was a fun excursion and the day couldn't have been prettier! Before going into the water I was telling Andrew that we could throw the three kids into the water (Kylee, Aubra and Esther) and let the crocs eat them and then they wouldn't bother us because they'd be full. Esther piped up and shouted, "Do you think they'd be full after eating Aubra"? Valid point! We decided not to try it. As we were driving and looking at the greenery I was asked if I had a garden. My response was that I can't keep anything alive even though "I speak so nicely to my plants". This time Aubra piped up and said, "Sue, talk nicely. That's unusual." She is so funny!!!!! I guess I have left my mark!! 

 

We then went back to the school for lunch. It was about 3:30 and the food was traditional Ugandan. At this point I am extremely thankful for Esther who I have decided likes everything. I stuck with the rice; Esther ate her share and mine! She was my favorite at that time! I love Uganda and I love the people. But I am not too fond of the food!! 

 

It is only 8:20 but I am beat. I am shutting down for the night. Today was a good day and really good for the team to see the contrast between Musana and a regular school in Uganda. The difference is amazing in every way. I love you all.

 

Sue

No comments: