Monday, October 6, 2008

Galilee Day 04 - Jordan, Beit Sean, Susita

An amazing day. No pix right now, not sure I'll have time - packing for the trip to Turkey tomorrow. Finally, answers to my questions - all trip RVL has been saying "I'll answer that in Turkey."



Morning started with an Immersion in the Jordan. Not quite a baptism, more an invitation to repentance. A moving scene - imagine the part of our annual Baptism celebration where we all get in the water, only doing it in the Guadalupe with the river running about 3000 cfm. You get the picture - to get me clean, it's gotta run that hard, and do I feel for the fish downstream. Seriously, an amazing event.



Then to Beit Sean, a Polis of the Decapolis. The Polis of Polises. God showed us there how much we love our stuff, how much we have to sell to follow him, and how quickly it can all be taken away. And especially, how you never approach the Decapolis without wet feet. Prayers from the Holy Land to all of you at home watching what's going on in the markets. A timely visit.



We ended the day at Susita, the site of a Byzantine cathedral and an even older Roman city. RVL made a compelling case (trust me, it was, and I'm a lawyer) that this was the place where the crazy man's demons went into the pigs. Little known fact - a spiritual decendant of that man may have been a co-author of the Nicene Creed. Ask me later.



We watched the sun set over Tiberias and the waters of the Galilee, and had an amazing, tender and unforgettable exerience to close our last night here.



Shalom



KTR

1 comment:

Debbi's Blog said...

thank you for your faithful blogging-
Having traveled several times with RVL, I know how tempting it is to shower and crawl in bed!

SHEMA

Debbi Chesney