Monday, September 23, 2013

Iganga day 7

I came to Uganda mostly to see an old friend Kyemba Isma. I did not come here expecting to see great things, as this was my third time in Uganda, or to be moved in some cosmic way. But this country does not let you just visit it. You become part of Uganda. As we climb back on our bus and travel to the Mum Hotel, which is the fanciest place I have ever stayed at in Uganda even though I have to flush my toilet with a bucket, I watch the countryside pass by and I think of what was happening all around me and I realize you can't help but see great things and you are always experiencing a once in a life time event with every stop. Vickie Marquez and I prayed over a child with a fever and watched the fever break and the child immediately cool and then start playing with the other children. I watched Glenn sing songs until he ran out of songs, Judy has placed about one million stickers on children and then came out the next day with a million more stickers and every time she put a sticker on a child they glow with gratitude and excitement. Today I built desks with John, Glenn, Jaimie and a group of Ugandan men, it was amazing. We were only able to get one fully finished but just watching Stephen, a Ugandan pastor, use a power tool for the first time was worth coming to Uganda all by itself, that and Jaimie being chased by a mother hen after she picked up one of its chicks. Neither the chick, hen or Jaimie were harmed during the altercation. I love watching Emily and Paige play with the children and how Haji, Liz, Jen, Sue and Judy keep us all on schedule and organized which may be the biggest miracle of the trip. I have so many amazing stories to tell but I need to get this blog to Liz so we can both go to bed. Good night and God bless.
-Josh

4 comments:

Scott and Cathi said...

Continued blessings over everyone and your time there. Peace, strength and endurance over all. Cathi

Scott and Cathi said...

Continued blessings over everyone and your time there. Peace, strength and endurance over all. Cathi

Sharon said...

Healing - bring it! You can't help it when you have Jesus EVERYWHERE you go! :)

Sonia said...

Reading your post brings back fond memories of our first Riverside trip to Uganda in 2006. I agree, there is something about Uganda that forever stays with you. The people are so beautiful, as is the country, marked by red earth and rolling green hills. I was so blessed to share that time with you and your dad. You guys are amazing to travel with...so side splitting funny one moment...and so serious, inspiring and compassionate in the next. Your love for Ugandans runs deep. Say hi to Kyemba for me. Love, Sonia