Friday, October 11, 2013

A MILLION SMALL PIECES ALL COME TOGETHER…

A MILLION SMALL PIECES ALL COME TOGETHER…

Today is our last day in Iganga. I can’t believe this trip is about to end. It is so hard to believe we have been here four weeks. I really could stay here another few weeks and probably still not complete all that I want to do. We did so much and had a chance to meet so many great people and learn SO much about this country. I really do feel for the first time like I am coming home with so much insight about so many different aspects of Uganda. The learning curve this time has been amazing and I feel like I am returning with some great ideas about how to serve even better than we have in the past. I have learned that it is about what is best for the people here; not about what is best for the people coming to serve! I may be slow but I have finally figured it out and what a difference it is making in decisions we’ve made and how we have implemented the things we are doing. I came with one set of beliefs and am coming home with another. And I truly believe that I am coming home a much better person for all that I have seen and learned.

I started the day at Musana and spent several hours talking to Andrea, Haril and her mother, Pat about a myriad of issues I had questions about. They were so willing to share their views and answer my questions. I felt like I was sitting among long time friends and talking about something we are all passionate about. I really value what they had to say as they are living here full time and have personally faced many of the issues I was asking about. I appreciated their insight as Mzungus working in Uganda and I valued Haril’s take on Ugandan culture. He was able to let me know if my thoughts were correct or if I was looking at them with an American slant. All in all it was a great meeting and I was really sorry to have to say goodbye to them. Next time I go to Colorado to see my friend, Colleen, we are going to have to take a side trip and visit Pat. If she and I lived closer together I think we could get into a lot of trouble together!!!

I left there and went to Bulubande where the rest of the team was painting Bible verses on the newly painted walls of the girl’s dorms. They had done a wonderful job. The paint odor was awfully strong – after a few whiffs I thought I was going to be a little tipsy for the rest of the day. Liz then painted, “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord” in big letters on the archway in the entryway to the dorm room. I cannot tell you how awesome it looks. Everyone did a great job and I can’t believe that Liz did it free hand.
 
 
As for me, I stood on a wobbly chair to do my piece. Fortunately Jaimie was kind enough to hold the chair so I wouldn’t fall to the ground. It was so nice to hear the girls come in and start reading what was written. The boys dorms had not been painted yet or we would have taken our talents into their rooms as well. I have to say with the newly painted walls (the bottom half is dark brown, the top white) and green verses the rooms look really nice. What a difference a coat of paint makes. The rooms are so much brighter and cheerier. And of course there is nothing better after a hard days work than lunch. So once again we were treated to rice, beans, and the best pineapple ever. All was going well until Liz found a bug in her rice. After that it was not quite as appetizing but we did manage to eat quite a bit. It was when she flicked it onto the floor and it almost fell into my coke that I lost a few more years of life!

I then went outside and found a few young kids that for some reason had not yet returned to class. I asked Waisuwa to help me organize them into a small circle with their feet pointed up and got some of the cutest pictures. They were all excited to participate and I was only too happy to take several.
 
 
The little girl I mentioned yesterday found me again today and ran up and grabbed my hand. Yesterday I taught her to “gig em”. Well today I taught her to puff her cheeks out and blow out air. So she and I did this for a good long while. Then she held up her hands and wanted to be held. She must have seen the sucker written across my forehead because I was only too happy to comply. She and I walked hand in hand all day. She is just so stinking cute. When it came time to leave I took her back to her mother and she wanted no part of that. If I could I would sneak her home in my suitcase. She just touched my heart and once again I fell in love.


We then came back to the Mum and we proceeded to try to get everything into our suitcases. This is always such a challenge. I am excited to be coming home and seeing my husband, and being able to see and talk to my family and friends but I am going to miss this country tremendously. I will leave a part of my heart here. We have done some good things and today I really saw and felt God pulling all the pieces together for us. We were able to wrap up a lot of things that until today were really at loose ends. God was really gracious in showing us to depend on him and to trust him in all things. Last night I went to bed in a state of panic as to how things were going to come together. I had a list a mile long. And today one by one they all fell into place. I have such a peace about how we are leaving everything. Our God is so good.

No comments: