Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Haiti Day 1

So we are officially in Haiti!! Our flights today went surprisingly fast. It must have been the tvs with free movies and games that passed time so quickly. Lessons learned today: not to buy crepes from the airport, and watching the movie 10 cloverfield lane was a complete waste of time. 

We arrived in Port-Au-Prince just as the sun went down. I thought I had a clear understanding of what Haiti was like, but Hearing stories and seeing pictures of it is completely different than actually being there in person. The moment we stepped out of the airport, I didn't expect to smell burning trash. I guess it had never occurred to me that garbage would be everywhere. Everything, like the buildings and culture here are so different than home. I didn't understand how some of the others were talking and not paying attention to everything around us as we drove to the guesthouse. I couldn't stop watching and soaking all our surroundings in. 

The guesthouse is nice, and francoise is very kind. The dinner she prepared was great too! I'm so excited for what's to come on this trip.

-Bailey

No comments: