Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Hungary: Day 4

Sziasztok! (Hello Everyone!)

This was totally supposed to be posted last night...sorry!!

Only 4 days into the trip and it has already been an experience to remember. Traveling into Hungary, I felt like I was a toddler just trying to soak up everything that was going on around me. I'm trying to take in all the different signs, hear the conversations in different languages, and trying the different food/drinks. It's all so new to me.
This morning, we prepped for our day at the refugee camp in Bicske.  Not knowing what to expect, I was filled with anxiety and just nervous about what we were about to experience.  Once we drove into the camp, there were TONS of people that seemed to have been from all over the country.  As we got the day started, I walked around the camp with John to announce that we would be having coffee/tea and would have english classes going on throughout the day.  Out of all the things that have been uncomfortable for me, speaking to complete strangers with a giant language barrier falls right on up there!
After we started the English classes, I was amazed at how many people actually knew the language and how hungry they were to learn more.  With each lesson plan we went through, questions were being asked and relationships are beginning to be built.  Some of the refugees began sharing their story as to why they were at the camp and what their plans were after the camp.  Looking back on the day, I now realize that the anxiety and nervousness was unnecessary (as always).  I'm definitely excited for what day 2 brings us.  I'm praying for opened hearts, great conversations, and tons more laughing!  More to come!
JS

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for you & the team Sanchie! Thanks for the update!