Monday, May 9, 2016

Who am I? Why am I here?

It’s Monday and our time here is coming to a close.  We were finally able to get a good night’s sleep last night, at least in quantity.  Quality of sleep, or rather comfortable sleep,  does not seem to be a concern for Hungarians judging by the mattresses we’ve encountered.

 

In addition to that we all woke feeling incomplete not having the whole team together and it was difficult to get into the right state of mind to go through the spiritual exercises that John had planned for us.  I personally didn’t even want to do this “retreat”.  It didn’t make sense that we’ve done our work in the refugee camps, completed the Alpha training, and now we are going to work on ourselves?  I didn’t come here to work on my spirituality (although through blessing and serving others, it was I who was truly blessed), I came here to serve.  Mission accomplished, let’s roll!

 

However, the Lord had other plans, as he often does.  The materials and topics we’re covering are too much to go into in a blog post, but they revolve around spiritual formation and sort of an examination of conscience.  And I believe now that God chose this to happen here, because he knows I can’t go anywhere else.  I can’t hide from the hard questions and the hard truths.  I’ve no choice but to meet Jesus face to face and have a conversation with him about where he fits in my daily  life and in my hierarchy of priorities.  It’s not easy, but it is good after all, and for that I’m grateful.

 

There is so much more to tell, but it is late and we’ve one more day ahead of us before we set our sights on home.  We appreciate all your prayers!

 

BT

 

 

 

No comments: