Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hello Everyone!

Goodness, where in the world do I start. First of all, today was my second shower in a week and first glass of wine! I guess I would call today "bittersweet" because we also said good-bye to all the kids we spent all week with and FELL IN LOVE WITH at camp. Here are a few pictures of our time...I'm sorry today is going to be brief...my eyes are getting heavy.

I've never had more hugs in my life than I've had from Tanya. She was my buddy all week. Every time I turned around I would hear, "shenny!" (Family: Just like baby katie and mary used to say!" I had forgotten that I gave her my cross I had around my neck the first day she asked about it. So today when we were leaving camp she kept tugging at my same but new necklace (that were made for the trip.) Honestly, I was thinking..."I have given her so much and she only wants more "things." Did I make any impact on her at all?" Well, Tanya quickly grew very frustrated as I continued to say, "nee penyee mayoo" (I don't understand) as she kept pulling at my necklace. She called over Masha to translate and this is what Masha translated, "Jenny, I remember the necklace just like this one that you gave me the first day. I will never forget it. Every time I see it I will pray for you. Will you please pray for me when you see yours?"

After my first shower after 2 days of traveling, I came out to find sweet Dasha in her kitchen. Her mother made some wonderful crepes with some sweet cream to pour over them, topped with homemade jam by her grandmother! Heaven on earth!



We took an hour bus ride outside of Vologda to get to camp. Then we stopped at the bridge and walked another 30 minutes to camp. When we approached the camp all the kids ran outside and met us at the gate yelling, "Привет!" Which is pronounced Pree-veet and means Hello! I fell in love immediately.

This is the first thing I saw as I walked in the doors...a banner that read, "Welcome to our camp!" in English and 33 precious children waving us in to sit at their table for tea!

Sasha, Katia, Nicole (on team), and Jenny during our fist day of crafts. If I could get ALL of you reading this to pray for Katia, as she is not going back to her foster family after camp, but back to the orphanage. :(


Pin the tail on the Donkey at the Hoedown! Katia, Rita, Sasha, Tanya, ( and Illiad? who ran in the picture last minute holding HIS end where he thought the tail should go!)

Talent show night!


Hoedown night! Enjoying the campfire just after teaching all the kids (expect the older "cool" kids!) the Cotton Eyed Joe!!! Anxiously awaiting...yes of course...S'MORES!!! I think they had about 5 each!

This picture was taken this morning right before we started worship. People are starting to get teary-eyed because we know it's our last day together.


This was placed in the middle of our table this afternoon before we left camp. It is sweet bread made with fresh picked berries from the lady who lives behind the camp! So sweet and very yummy!!!

I just re-read my first post...please excuse all the grammatical errors!!! In all my future posts in Russia as well!
I love and miss you all terribly!
Jenny

4 comments:

Jen Taylor said...

Love you Jenny! So glad that you aer having a good time, and great post!!

Michele said...

I second the LOVE!! SO glad to hear how things are going. The Loft loves and misses you! Are you eating? You look too skinny!

Pam said...

No probably not. She is a pretty picky eater. Chip off the old block. But I'm sure when she gets back she'll want to go to all her favorite places to eat.
We'll take you to your favorite place when you get home.

Meg McCool said...

I LOVE the cross story...so so COOL. we all miss you too and are honestly a little jealous that Russia is getting all the rudd hugs ;) see ya!