Thursday, August 6, 2009

Last Day in Uganda

Hello,
It's our last day in Uganda and it's amazing to look back on all that has happened. I have really noticed how much everyone has grown in this experience including myself.

We left Phil's house yesterday morning and I have to say that was the hardest part for me. As we were packing and getting ready to leave all of the girls of the orphanage were doing their chores. I walked into the kitchen and saw Ruth, I had gotten so attached to her throughout the week. I went up to her and said goodbye and told that I would write her all the time. It broke my heart when she started to cry and told me that she was going to miss us and that she didn't want me to leave. I just sat there and hugged her for a few minutes and thought about how much all of the kids loved us and how much they were so happy that we came. I knew that nothing could ever replace the feeling they get when we are there in person spending time with them. We could have sent thousands of dollars and they could have gotten so many things that are temporary, but being there in person and spending time with them is long term and it will always stay in their hearts.

Back on Saturday, New Grace had a celebration for us because Riverside funded the money for the fence that was built. It was very big and it look like they put allot of work into it. After all of the staff from the school had a chance to speak they brought out food and cake to serve to us and everyone else. The looks on the kids faces as they were looking at the food just tore me in half. When they passed out pieces of cake to the kids all chaos let loose. Kids were pushing and hitting, they had the look of hunger in their faces. As I looked to the back of all the kids fighting I saw a group of kids just standing in the back not even fight to get the food. The kids in the back were Phil's kids. The pain I felt from seeing those kids fight was lessened because I was so amazed at how well behaved those kids were. It showed me that everything Phil was doing was working... Big Time. Things happened at the celebration that shocked me and it is to much to explain correctly. The big culture difference is hard to take in, but all of had to push through it and just take in our surroundings.

Now I know I just talked about something negative. But trust me there was so much that happened that changed my heart and the way I think of things.....

Well its time to go, and I am super sorry that we have only blogged a few time.

Yesu Akwagla!

Megan

No comments: