Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Hungary Day 5

Until a few minutes ago, I wasn't sure which direction to take this post. Should I go the playful route and reveal the stuff I learned about the team – something they most certainly deserve, given how hard a time they are giving me! – like I once (accidentally) revealed Scott's love for an unnamed comedic duo? Or should I go the serious route and report on how God is using this team in the lives of the asylum-seekers?

Reading through the previous entries, however, I was struck by the profound journey people are on. We've been hanging out for days, with group sharing/therapy sessions every couple hours (significant passive-aggressive tendencies on the team!), and yet even still, I had no clue about these inner-journeys people were on. Perhaps I'm just the stereotypically oblivious guy, but either way, this blog has served it's function – it's given voice to the deeper thoughts, emotions and experiences people on the team are wrestling with. And like a modern-day Canterbury Tales, others get to witness how God is working in our hearts on this pilgrimage to Bicske.

As the "host" of the team, one of the joys is being able to help them overcome culture-shock, á la the "What About Bob?!" fashioned "Death therapy" strategy of conquering the fear of the unknown. :) But in truth, however much I enjoy gently nudging people out of their comfort zones, perhaps my deepest joy is watching God continue to (re)shape and transform people's hearts as they serve here in Hungary. What a privilege to be part of!

The greatest sorrow, however, will be having to say goodbye in a couple days.

John


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: