Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My day in Uganda…a lonely turkey, dancing women, and coming out of the closet

Being a doer, these past days in Uganda have been different than I expected.  We've spent the majority of our time touring (really visiting) the homes and villages of women who've graduated from Musana's trade school as well as Musana itself.  It felt more like vacation, or an educational field trip, than it did work.  That said, I'm not sure where the idea of a mission trip as work springs from.  Perhaps it's the distance traveled and the expense incurred.  I think I want to be able to say I did something when I return.  Some list of accomplishments that proved I'd done "something" for the Kingdom on this trip.  I even imagined the conversations…what could I say I'd done, but seen things…that doesn't seem worth the expense.  But then…

 

I expressed my feelings to the team and they gently reshaped my thought processes.  They led me to see that what we were doing was building relationships, for the long term.  When I pushed back that I would most likely never see these women or children again and that building a momentary relationship seemed pointless, my wife led me to understand that I'm part of a foundation being built for future teams.  That each interaction built a new synapse or tissue connection in the body of Christ.  Some imperceptible growth that makes the body stronger and more resilient.  That whether they remember or I remember or neither or both of us remember, the muscle memory is being built.  Thankful the team was gracious with my slow learning…women and relationships…who knew!

 

Thus, today started with more visits…and a new perspective!  First we visited the Musana farm where they have livestock, to include a lonely gobbler who strutted his stuff for us, 11 cows, goats (to include a baby born no more than an hour or so before we arrived) and some fairly smelly pigs.  They also grow sugar cane, corn and jack grass (??) used to produce energy.  It felt great to be on a farm that was so productive and full of life.  We then visited a village where a group of women had a knitting business.  It was a humble, clean, peaceful place with lots of children.  After introducing themselves to us, they sang us a song.  And then we danced!  All of us, one at a time with these beautiful women…to include this reserved old soldier.  The team didn't see it but I teared up when I did it.  It broke off a chunk of that reserved nature I carry…it was a blessed moment…and built by a singular relationship moment…not through work.  I like dancing women!

 

Finally, Kathy and I worked!  We helped organize a closet, really a walk-in closet for the Musana staff.  Who knew they'd have Lacrosse gear in Uganda, or the complete "Hunger Games" series in book form or John Eldredge's "Wild at Heart".  As well as about a bazillion color markers and crayons.  It made me ponder what I would think to send if I was in the states and how it would be received by a ministry in a foreign land.  It definitely shaped my future ideas about "gifting".  I left covered in dust but happy to have "worked". 

 

I'm fairly certain that I will talk about the dancing women experience and not the cleaning the closet when I get home.  



No comments: