Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sweet Blessings from Uganda

Patsy Tucker here. I'm part of the Colorado cohort of this expedition although I'm a born and bred Texan...for the first 34 years of my life :-)

This morning's experience was the highlight of my Uganda trip so far. Kathy, Glenn and I visited the prison. Glenn met with the men and led them in worship. Kathy and I met with 14 female inmates to distribute hygiene kits to them, but they blessed us instead! I've never seen such joy as what I saw on these women's faces as they sang and  danced, and one of them was just about the best djembe player I've ever heard. As Kathy and I shared with them from Scripture about their worth in God's eyes,  they cheered and clapped.

These women are in a difficult place; many are serving sentences or indebtedness, and they have no representation in court. The joy they showed was amazing! The guard today was also a believer in Christ, so it was wonderful to have her worshipping along with us. I wish I had pictures to share with you of this amazing experience, but I wasn't allowed to take any. I hope I never forget what I heard and  saw today.

The rest of the team met with Pastor Wilson in Kokombo, then we all returned to Musana on schedule (!) for Glenn's concert with all of the schoolchildren.

After the concert we took a long drive south of Iganga through beautiful countryside to visit the blind community. We were able to meet with the women and distribute some kits, but it was a challenging situation because there were more women than we were prepared to serve. We pray that the blind women and the schoolgirls in the community were blessed.

A huge blessing to us today and an answer to prayer was God's provision of Agnes to translate for us. She is Pastor Wilson's ministry assistant, and she willingly agreed to go with us to the prison and to the blind community. Her help today was invaluable.

The things we experienced today remind me of the Wesley hymn "O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing":

He breaks the power of canceled sin, He sets the prisoner free; His blood can make the foulest clean, His blood availed for me.

Hear Him ye deaf, His praise ye dumb, your loosened tongues  employ, Ye blind behold your Savior come, and leap ye lame for joy.

What a blessing that in eternity these prisoners will be free and blind will see!

Blessings,
Patsy


No comments: