Saturday, July 16, 2016

Team Gumby Strikes Again


Uganda Team Gumby Blog, Saturday, July 16, 2016

Hi. I'm Kathy Ruiter, one of the ladies from Colorado that was so graciously included on this trip.  About a year ago I learned of a need that tugged at my heart - school girls in developing countries often don't have access to disposable feminine hygiene products, don't have any other reliable means to protect their clothing, and this will often cause them to miss school each month during their periods.  Then, to quote one of the women who works here in the skills development center, "they are horribly shamed when they soil their skirts, then stay home for many days each month, get so behind in school that they can't catch up, so they run off to get pregnant so they can escape the impossible struggle through school."  Or, as a line in a song that the girls sang at the choir competition yesterday said, "I start to fail; you call me stupid; you marry me off."  So I'm no great evangelist, but I can sew pretty well.  So I started making washable hygiene kits that are leak-proof and will last 3 years if cared for.  I really see these school girls as some of "the least of these" that Jesus spoke of, and I want them to understand that they were uniquely and beautifully created by God, and that He treasures them!  Until now, I've sent 25-50 kits at a time with missionaries to various countries.  This time, through a series of Facebook "coincidences," I contacted Pastor Wambi in Iganga, who led me to Sue H., leader of this trip.  God has been so good in orchestrating all of this!  We brought 325 kits to Uganda to distribute, and I've met a teacher who can teach many others how to make them.

For the past week I've met with Cathy, the "tailoring tutor" (sewing teacher) at the Musana skills development center, teaching her how to make these kits.  She was very skilled, picked up everything so quickly, and did amazingly detailed work on a treadle (foot-powered) straight-stitch sewing machine.  We worked together for hours getting their overlock machine to work well.  In the end, she was SO PROUD of her pad holders and pads, and well equipped to teach her classroom of local some to make this product in their own villages!  What an answer to prayer.  Her boss, Juliet, is confident that she will be able to find the fabrics to make these kits, and that they will be able to make these kits for local school girls and women.  This has been so rewarding.

Next, I worked with the school social worker at Musana.  She had me teach the 6-7th grade girls a hygiene lesson, then how to use the kits, and distribute them.  They were so grateful!  She also took kits to distribute to high school girls (they go to boarding school here in HS) when they come home next.

Today we went to Pastor Wambi's village in Idudi, about a half hour drive from where we're staying.  The rest of the team worked on helping the locals paint a metal gate and 2 big walls, in preparation for painting a logo on them tomorrow… It was a long, very hot day for them, Steve & Glenn often on bouncy lean-to ladders made of lashed & nailed sticks.  Steve found that the best way to recruit local help was to give paint brushes to Justine & Grace.  Suddenly 8 local teen boys wanted to help with the project!!  Go figure…  Steve was attacked by a bag of nails in the paint store, but he's OK.  His glasses were also crushed in the van… It's a long, sad story.  Our expert driver, Jimba (sp), went to run a quick errand.  His keys were stolen, so he was unable to return for 2 hours (got a locksmith to make a new key).  In the meantime we were stranded with no drinkable water & hundreds of kids holding our hands, playing with our hair (Patsy got a real fancy hairdo :) )  playing with the blue veins on our arms, singing songs, dancing, taking thousands of photos to show the laughing kids.  The last 2 hours at the New Life Ministry (waiting for the delayed van) were tough; we were pretty exhausted when we left.  The girls tried to tell me that my hair was pretty, and theirs was not; I told them that God created them; that He was VERY happy with His work, and that He declares them beautiful.  I saw in their eyes that they got it - such a joy :)  

While the rest of the team was painting the wall, Patsy & I were teaching a few teachers, then about 80 school girls how to use & care for the hygiene kits.  The girls also asked if I would teach them their anatomy… got to do that too :).  They were soooo grateful for their kits - both the women and the girls.  Tomorrow we'll go back to Iganga for church, then paint some more & distribute kits to more girls who will be home from high school boarding school (just for this).

So today was exhausting, but a blessing in so many ways.  I'm so grateful to God for this opportunity to serve his children.

Many blessings, and thank you for praying for us, 
Kathy


No comments: