Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lesotho - Deep into the Heart of the Country and it's amazing History


Dear all,
Had such a wonderful day today. The weather was a bit milder. Jo drove me to the Morija where the seminary is  located where my team leaders are hoping I will teach. There hasn't been an AIM team member on staff there in a while, and they are really wanting this, and I have a seminary education.The town of Morija is is about 40 minutes from Maseru. It was a nice drive, passing the Royal Village where the King and his brother and their families live. I did not realize that they did not live at the palace in Maseru, but they prefer to live in the old royal village, and to drive into the palace each day. On the way, we saw so many shepherds and flocks on the side of the road,in the fields, and in the villages. The first of the 8 pictures that I just sent is of shepherds and sheep and cows under the trees of Morija (the shepherds are in the back of the pic - look hard!). This is a historic town. It was the first settlement of missionaries in Lesotho. That was in 1833. There were 3 at first from Paris Evangelical Missionary Society. We walked down to a couple of the older cemeteries and found graves of family members, and at least one of these early missionaries. there were also newer ones that Jo knew, and members of families that Jo has known. Jo and another team member, Merrill short, had lived in Morija when Jo first arrived.  Merrill at one point was in charge of the radiology department of the missionary hospital there. The first missionaries started a school which is still in use, and a print shop which is as well. They printed the Bible and other books in Sesotho. The second picture I sent is of the first church in Lesotho that these missionaries built. It is now used by the Lesotho Evangelical Church. The next picture is of the Craft Center of Morija. We had a wonderful visit from the head of this craft center, and then met another of the staff who is working to get  local clays to use in pottery. They both asked me to consider working with them when I come. This is very exciting for me. We then stopped by the Morija Museum and I bought two books on Lesotho history, a Lesotho map, and a DVD on Lesotho history. Then we stopped by the teashop there and ordered lunch. This was served out in a garden area. The next two pictures are of the teashop, and Jo waiting at our table for our delicious meal. There at this garden I finally saw a spiral aloe. It is the national plant of Lesotho. I had seen photos and was hoping to see one. I think you find them more in the mountains. The last two pictures are of the entrance to the seminary that is there, and of the library of the seminary. We met a couple of the professors from there, and I learned that there is a need for someone to teach pastoral care, which I love. That was very encouraging. Jo bumped into a number of people she has not seen in a number of years. We also walked up to where some of the AIM missionaries used to live, and then up to a missionary home that is now a radio station. We were given a tour by a pastor who now heads this up. This was the first radio station outside of Maseru. While we were there school children were touring it, and one was interviewed on air. We got to watch for a few moments. He looked so young and nervous.Then we headed back to Maseru. My one on one this evening was rescheduled for tomorrow.  It's bedtime!  Tomorrow will be a busy day of one on ones, and then the men's group that Jo will lead will be in the evening.Have my hot water bottle at my feet, and need to tuck my computor under the covers on the other side of the bed so that it doesn't literally freeze, say my prayers, and turn out the light. Hope you all have a blessed night tonight. Millie







No comments: