Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Let the Adventure Begin! - by Liz

It was an early morning that started at 2:00am. Yes you read that correctly! We have a 545am flight and therefore had to be at the airport at 3:45:). I felt mixed emotions as we crossed over the ocean and Haiti was in sight for the first time. As we began to land the beautiful country was right outside our window. I had this weird urgency to just want to jump out and walk and touch the ground that is so dear to these people. Heartache was my immediate feeling, followed by beauty and hope. While I looked around and saw so much devastation, I also saw hope. And people who were picking themselves up out of the rubble, literally, and pressing on. The faith and determination these people have is humbling. To experience so much devastation, yet still choose to stay. Some because this is their only choice, and some because this will always be home. We walked into a busy airport in Port au Prince. The one thing I had asked our prayer people specifically for was an easy time during baggage claim. Because of the economy everyone is trying to make a buck, so men with fake badges will swarm you and try to "help" and take your luggage, for a small price of course. Angela our team leader was fierce, constantly say "no merci" until they finally gave up and went away. It took us awhile to collect all 24+ pieces of our luggage, but thankfully it was all there and nobody's was missing. As we began to drive, it began to feel a lot like Uganda. All of us girls piled into a van and off we went. The boys rode in the tap taps along with all our luggage. Sue, no red dirt! But instead I was shocked to see pavement and sidewalks, something unfamiliar in Uganda. But the crazy driving is just the same! Sweet faces crowded the streets as women, children, and men all went about their business. We got to the place where all the people who lost homes in the earthquake built their temporary homes. I think they're called tent cities. But they are basically one roomed small metal buildings all crammed into this little area. It's heartbreaking as devastating all at the same time. This is literally all these people have left. After seeing what the majority of the people live in here, it was hard to pull up to our lovely guesthouse. It is very nice. I'm grateful for running water and a bed to sleep in. Can I say it is hot, like I haven't stopped sweating since I got here. But I'm honored and grateful to sweat along with the beautiful Haitians who live here. If they can do it, so can I! Though I think they have an unfair advantage, they are probably immune to the climate. Our team is all well, and we are excited to be out and about tomorrow. Can't wait to see our students give their hearts away to a country who has lost so much. Tonight we rest, for tomorrow we hit the ground running! Much love to you all and thank you for all the prayers 

No comments: