Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Taking Flight in Lesotho

Dear all, Had an exciting morning yesterday. Headed out early to go to the military airstrip. Mssion Aviation Fellowship rents form them. They fly AIMS missionaries out of the mountains, fly docs and clinic workers and supplies all over Lesotho, and help those in the mountains in so many ways. Jo has a pilot's license, and lived in the mountains for nine years, so knows the MAF missionaries. She asked if I could ride with them if there was room. They agreed to not only let me, but for free. It usually costs $100.00 per trip. I did from my own money, not support donate to their ministry, but was so grateful for their generous offer. So Jo dropped me off at eight at the hanger. It was full, but at the last minute, someone did not show and I got to go. Not only that, but I was able to ride co-pilot - at least that postion. Had a wonderful view. It is a 4 passenger plane going out for the first time for them. It's prior use was in the Phillipines. The trip was great. I never felt sick. Yes! The flights were smooth, except one or two moments of turbulence. We landed at three airstrips, none paved, but well grated. The last one so reminded me of stories my dad used to tell about flying into and out of Hong Kong. As you take off, you fly off over a cliff. It is so amazing to see the ground just fall away. We flew up to 12,000 ft. It was a hazy day, so the pictures aren't wonderful, but I'm pretty pleased all the same.Saw so many sheep on the mountains, but never got a good shot of that. Do have some shots of kralls, the rock pens the shepherds use at night, and their stone huts. Some of the other pictures show mountain villages. Melvin, the pilot explained that they don't build villages high in the mountains, that is left for graving the herds. They don't build them near rivers, for they have a fear of rivers; legend has it here that evil spirits live in the rivers. They don't get their water from rivers either for the same reason. They build their villages near the many natural springs that flow in the mountain. Got to run. This evening I will conduct a one on one for a couple. This will allow Jo to attend to other ministry. That is one of the things I hoped to do while here. Jo teaches and mentors over 60 people now, and that keeps her so busy. I am so glad to be able to help her with that. God be with you. Millie











No comments: