Friday, June 9, 2017

Haiti Day 4

I have a fun fact for you guys, Haiti is hot. Like overly ridiculously hot. Like your face is melting off hot. ESPECIALLY when you shovel dirt and gravel onto two separate roads for 6 hours. Actually, it’s not as bad as you would think. We always have access to water, in large quantities. Like, today I drank 120 ounces of water and managed to sweat enough of it out that I only went to the restroom twice. We shoveled literally all day, but I actually had fun because our group decided to make jokes in place of complaining too terribly much. Plus the whole atmosphere of being nearer to God (at least it sure seems like it) helps. Each time I felt overwhelmed or the thought of giving up came into my head I would look up to the mountains and remember that OUR GOD created all of it and he loves this place even more than I do and I would yet again be re-energized (not gonna lie, that happened like every fifteen minutes). Our entire group (at least us kids) have a “connection” (thats low-key an inside joke) that makes us all get along incredibly well. I haven’t gone more than 30 minutes of this entire trip without laughing so hard I lose my breath. Robin even thinks we’re pretty cool, and she doesn’t even like young people! It helps we’re a really small group (6 kids total) and we’ve all become so incredibly close (even though its only day 4 haha). An example of our teamwork is when Sony (the interpreter) kept telling us “you get a coke if you move it” referring to a BIG rock on the side of the street. For a while Zach and Jackson tried to move it before we got in trouble for our lack of working on the road. A while later we all had gravitated back to the rock and Zach decided to pull the rock, Quinn (the 13 year old daughter of the missionary family we’re staying with who is super duper cool and we have all bonded with as a team as well) and I had lodged a shovel under the rock, and Emma and Charis and Niaya were pushing the rock. We tried for a good 5 minutes but WE GOT THE ROCK TO MOVE!!! I think Zach was the most proud of our accomplishment. (I want to put in a side note here to point out all 6 of them, including Quinn, are sitting ridiculously close to me and Zach keeps putting on the caps lock button to mess with me which goes to show how close we’ve become both spiritually AND PHYSICALLY) After we literally (metaphorically) died (we didn’t actually though so shout out to Jesus Christ) from all that shoveling we got to visit a store called Haiti Made in tap taps (rickety prison looking things on the back of trucks), which is a store full of Haitian made objects and Jackson ordered a coconut and peanut butter smoothie because YOLO and Haiti. After we got back to Reach Global we played an impromptu game of catch the frisbee and each time you caught it you had to make a weird sound (and the boys tried to catch and dab), which brought upon an entirely new round of laughs. All in all today was the hardest physical day, but weirdly the most fun one yet. Each day I start a new Notes page and write inside jokes, funny things that happened, or random quotes from the day and today had hands down the longest list yet. I’ve also taken so many photos and videos because even though were a relatively small group, we manage to do a lot of stupid stuff that requires documentation. Tonight we had an opportunity to lift each other up in encouragement and share our thoughts of each other from the past week and every person in the circle had amazing and thoughtful things to share with the others, to make some to the point of tears. I need too wrap it up because everyone is annoyed that I’m writing so much (even though they wished I had edited all their posts to make them longer and “more interesting” so I’m not sure why they’re mad). But overall, today was just a really really funny day that produced a lot of fruit in everyones lives. 

Caro (fine, lime, line etc.) is out!

No comments: