Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Uganda from the Heart of Hannah

We had an early breakfast this morning of eggs, fruit, coffee, and coke. Well, Sue had a coke. But she can do what she wants as our fearless leader. During breakfast, Tamara led a wonderful devotion that calmed and refreshed my heart and, I am sure, the hearts of everyone else. After breakfast we grabbed our snacks and water bottles and walked the 3 minutes down to Musana's main campus. We got to help two visiting dentists, Peter and Liliani from the States as the continued checking each students' teeth. My job was to hold a flashlight into mouths for Peter as he checked the kid's teeth for cavities. Tamara and her mother Laura, thought of a great system of writing down the students' names and documenting cavities and other needs they had. Samantha and Emma helped organize the students before they came to our dentist tent. (Sue and Julie were retrieving supplies from town). Now that the students with cavities have been identified, they can receive the care they need. Musana will cover the cost of the dental work needing to be done. I had a really great time working with Peter as he shared little dentistry tid-bits with me and then quizzed me on what I remembered. I learned words like Fronem and Mandible and Maxilla (I have no idea if I spelled those correctly). I really enjoyed seeing Peter and Liliani work with the kids today. They saw 200 students APIECE today and did it with grace and good humor. After lunch Emma and I began painting the dining hall and Samantha joined us after an hour or so. I was so thankful for them both. They each chose a wonderful quote to paint on the wall and I added a pretty border around their beautiful hand-lettering. We finished the day with dinner outside in the pavilion. A cool breeze was blowing and our rice, pineapple, stew, and salad was delicious. It was another day filled with sweat, teeth, good coffee, hands to hold, smiles, long skirts, and mosquitos. I will end today's blog with Emma's quote she painted on the wall: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched but just felt in the heart."

 

Love to everyone,

Hannah

No comments: