Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Hungary Final Thoughts

We watched the sun rise in Poland and exactly 24 hours later watched the sun set in San Antonio. Time change is weird. After 10 days abroad, we were finally home. I had 24 hours of sleepless travel to begin to process all God did over the last week and a half. And I'm finding myself unable to use words that will do it any kind of justice. 
God moved in ways I cant fully describe in words, but in ways that moved my heart to beat closer to the rhythm of God's. In Hungary we got to work alongside our missionary John Wilson. We got to watch our two churches (Riverside and Kegy) come together to encourage and equip one another. I watched John lead his community well. He's walking into uncharted territories but is handling it with such grace and strength. I kept thinking all week "Im so glad he belongs to us, and that he's our extension of Riverside here in Hungary." This is my third trip into Hungary, and I've gotten to watch john lead in many different areas but this week was different. 
This week I got to watch him step into a place that is unfamiliar and cling to the Lord fully for wisdom and direction. I knew he was capable of it, but this week it was fun to watch him see that in himself. That God has led him to this place, and that he is the right person for this task. I loved getting to engage in the local church while we were here AND attend an actual alpha class (we've always just taught leaders how to lead one). It gave a full picture of what life really looks like for John and Zsofi and their kids. 
After a week with them, we sent Scott back to the states and Michele and I hopped on a bus to Poland to visit some friends. The bus ride was beautiful as we drove through the rolling hills of Slovakia and ended up in beautiful Poland. I had met a family a couple years ago at a class in Pittsburgh that moved to Opole, Poland for ministry. So since we were so close, and Michele has strong polish roots we made a little side trip. It was such a refreshment and encouragement to spend time with them. It only added to our time and experiences in Hungary. 
We got to engage a little with the church they're a part of and I came away from both places feeling so full of God's presence. It was a week and a half of watching what God was doing around the world. From the crowded streets of Budapest to the small quaint town of Opole, God is clearly on the move. I feel so grateful to get so many opportunities to see how the local church is proclaiming the name of Christ. Whether it's here in the states or international, one thing remains the same— people are connected and united by the love of Christ. It was so sweet to see a full picture of that. My heart is forever changed by those we met in Hungary and Poland. Im inspired by them to live a life worthy of the calling God has placed on my life. But more importantly I'm inspired to engage in my local church even more, because that is where true transformation and life happens. In our cities, in our neighborhood, in our homes. God is on the move….and we get to be a part of it….. wherever we find ourselves! 

Much love, Liz




John and his leadership for the church. These guys were such an inspiration to us! Many of them have been with the church through the change and some hardships. It's the place they knew God was calling them to so they never felt like they were supposed to leave. Instead they continued to press forward and hope for the good of their church and community!! 


Small little church in Opole, Poland. 

No comments: