Thursday, July 30, 2015

Haiti Adult Day 3

We all woke up for our 7:30 breakfast this morning and it was clear that today is the halfway mark, but of course the Lord still did some seriously awesome work. To me, this trip is unique because the bulk of our work is not building things, painting things, or cleaning things, but instead it's all about building relationships. I'm an emotional, touchy-feely, warm fuzzy type of person, so this specific kind of work is completely breaking my heart and revealing the goodness of the Father all at the same time. 

At the end of breakfast, Devin gave a short devotional and challenged us to ask the Lord which individual, unique gift He has given us specifically for this trip. So today I became an internal processor and took quite a few moments to just stop and look around at our group as we served. It was the most beautiful site to see. 

The fruits of the Spirit lesson today at the orphanage was awesome. The kids were so attentive and respectful! They colored their own name sign and decorated it with "fruit" stickers, to remind them of the fruits of the Spirit. One of the boys that I've grown close with just stared at me and smiled as I helped him write his name (Schneider) on his name sign. He doesn't know english at all and yet he looked at me and said I was doing a good job. These kids are changing me and blessing me more than I had imagined and I am praising Jesus for His sweet, intentional work in me this week. 

Today was my first Haitian church experience and I cannot believe how incredibly faithful, prayerful, and worshipful these people are. Not to mention we were all drenched in sweat the whole two hours! The kids also sat in during church today and even they were raising their hands, closing their eyes, and worshipping the Lord. We all smiled when we realized the pastor was speaking on the fruits of the Spirit (Galations 5:16-25). God is so good. :) 

Each day on this trip, the Lord has shown us that He is at work here and sometimes it practically brings me to tears. I am usually a pretty anxious person, but the few things I thought would be obstacles on this trip have been completely removed by the Lord: the fear of safety, the fear of sickness, and the fear of language barriers. 

The Lord continues to rejuvenate us each morning so that we can pour out again and again. This is my first ever mission trip and I can't believe I've gotten the opportunity to serve alongside my husband, my sister, my mom, and my cousin! I'm so thankful. 

Also, I love fried plantains. 

-Graysen

No comments: