Sunday, July 19, 2015

Worship and the Reality that Mzungu’s really CAN’T dance!

First off, I want to wish my sweet, sweet husband Happy Birthday! I am so glad you are finally a speed limit. Today we started our day at Kokombo going to church there with Pastor Wilson. I love Pastor Wilson and his heart. He is truly a male version of Mother Theresa. The women's choir performed for us and they have the most beautiful voices. Of course this is coming from the woman who can't carry a tune in a bucket. But they are such a joy to listen to. Every song comes with dancing and hip movements which no white person can begin to do. Then Wilson treated us to a sermon, in his usual animated style, and he reminded me so much of Scott. The hands were flowing and his voice raised and lowered as his expressions changed. Agnes, who works with Wilson, translated for us Mzungu's. One of the choir singers had a little girl who was three-ish. All the time the mama was dancing the little girl kept coming up and trying to hug on her. The mother just kept on dancing. After the service Wilson took all the books we had brought and dedicated them to his library. He was so thankful to be able to add to the books he already has. Then he prayed over the books. Wilson just glowed over Judy's thoughtfulness in providing him new books for his people to read and learn from.

 

Then the team, minus Tamara and myself, climbed the mountain (or should I say steep hill). They came back and said it was really overgrown this year and each member brought back a bunch of sticker burrs. Must have felt a lot like hiking in Texas! Tamara and I in the meantime met with Wilson and Agnes regarding the feeding program. We sat in the shade not exercising at all except our mouths. Both of us were quite content. During the time we were there two new children came in to add to the program. They patiently sat waiting for Wilson while we talked and finally I noticed they were there and asked Wilson to please take care of them. He and Agnes immediately jumped into action and did all that they needed to do to ensure they will be cared for appropriately. Agnes acts as the secretary and takes incredible notes on each child tracking their progress. Each child has its own individual file with pictures from the first day they came into the program to the day they are released.

 

Upon returning from their hike we went to Stephen Waiswa's house for a musical presentation from Rhythm Africa. The performance was incredible. The movements and endurance was overwhelming. The hip movements were phenomenal. I would have thrown out my hips in no time at all. They can shimmy and move their hips in such fast motion. I tried to demonstrate my dancing skills and all they did was laugh. I am always happy to entertain! There was one young boy that I remembered from last year. He was so cute and so enthusiastic! He moved his body until I was physically exhausted. The energy was something I am still amazed at!

 

Tomorrow we are headed to the Island. We are leaving at 8:30 and Kyemba has already assured us that the potholes can lead us to China. I love the drive and I love the boat ride. I hope the team enjoys it as much as I do. May God bless you all!


-Sue

1 comment:

Cheta said...

Singing and dancing not really Bachman traits but kudos for trying!