Sunday, June 1, 2008

early in the morning


Hey all, we are back at the dead sea and as i am writing i can see the sun coming up on the other side over the mountains of moab. it is pretty amazing. yesterday we were in timna and it was b far te hardest hike of any of the trips that i have been on. we hiked from the entrance of the park over the highest mountain in it all the way to solomons pillars. it was over 4 and a half miles not countint the altitude and it was between 105 and 110. i really thought we might have a mutiny at several points. but we made it and everyone has a new appreciation for the forty years of wandering. last night when we returned to the dead sea we were able to go down to the dead sea and float the water, and yes it was as fun as i remember and i believe all my chaffing will be gone soon. i brought a handfull of the salt(and other minerals) back and hopefully will make it through customs with it. it is pretty sweet. i am also realizing what a blessing it was to have brought my wife with me the last time, one because of the shared experience we had but also because she took way better care of me than Caleb does. i have to bring my own snacks and keep up with the gatorade, clean up my bathroom stuff, do my laundry, and even pack my own suitcase. let me tell you its for the birds, not that we have seen many in the desert.
its funny brooke that you don't think i am funny because everyone here does so whatever. i just wanted to make sure people were loving on you and thought that would seal it for sure. i love you and no ps i love you is not healthy for boys to watch. i will say one other thing, i had the pleasure of walking with craig and becky yesterday down from Timna, becky has no knees, arthritis has nearly ruined them. going down was very hard for her and she wept over not thinking she could make it. but her husband craig held her and nearly carried her the whole way. which being that it was like 2 and a half miles and dropped more than the snake path at masada(2700 feet) was a humbling experience to watch, he could easily be at the front if he wanted. it was an amazing example of what a husband should be and makes my eyes water everytime i think of it. i am sorry honey that i am not that for you. so husbands out there get it together we look pretty sorry right now.

be strong, be strong, and be couragous.

Tben
P.S. Brooke I love you.

1 comment:

The Blevins' said...

WOW!! She has no knees. What a beautiful picture. I am crying now thinking about it. I am so glad that you are having such an awesome experience. I know that G-d is teaching you so much and I am excited to hear about it. People are taking great care of me...so not to worry. I am headed to Austin in a few minutes to start summer school. Back to the grindstone. I am sorry Caleb doesn't clean up your stuff, do your laundry or pack your bags...what can I say women are just a little more retentive when it comes to those things. I am really excited that you are also getting to do different things than our last trip...new information to learn and share. The menagerie is doing just fine!! All the animals miss you...they are disappointed though that you haven't been looking for a new sibling for them...they told me they really were hoping you would bring back a camel. Love you tons...miss you lots!!